Kitchen Lead - Viroqua Café
About Wonderstate Coffee
For us, coffee is a source of wonder. Since 2005, Wonderstate has roasted earnest and extraordinary coffees that honor relationships and champion our collective future. Our coffees, and our values-lead approach, have caught on. As the 2010 Roast Magazine Roaster of the Year and five-time Good-Food award winner, our mission continues to expand with three cafes and strong customer relationships in grocery stores, coffee shops, and offices around the Upper-Midwest and all over the country. Yet like the Driftless region we call home, we know you don’t have to be big to make an impact. From our industry-leading minimum price guarantee to farmers, to our 100% solar powered roastery, 5% Giving program, and embracing a healthy work-life balance for all staff, we’re working to do our part.
We're seeking collaborative, curious, and kind people to join us and to build our collective future, together.
The Kitchen Lead is a member of the Café management team and plays a central role in the success of the café’s business, holding the responsibility for our value of “Excellence. Always.” through the quality production of stellar food at the café. As part of the leadership of the café, the Kitchen Lead works closely with the Café Manager to provide direction to kitchen staff, create a positive work environment and achieve the café’s goals.
Benefits (working over 20 hours/week)
- Telehealth, Dental & Vision
- Supplemental Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- Wellness & Commuter Reimbursements
- Free coffee beans to each employee
- Complementary shift drink
- Wonderstate discount on food, beverages & merchandise
- Direct and train kitchen staff at the Wonderstate Café
- Prepare and cook food in accordance with the cafe quality standards
- Serves as a resource for cafe staff support and questions in absence of the Cafe Manager
- Honor relationships within the team, give and receive feedback respectfully, express gratitude to others, and actively contribute to a positive team environment
- Manage food COGS and recipe management
- Manage inventory and the product ordering process for food and other kitchen items
- Ensure high quality in our products and services, and provide feedback to kitchen staff on achievement of quality
- Maintain a sanitary work environment. Clean all furniture, fixtures and equipment in the kitchen daily and more frequently if needed.
- Drive to locations to pick up supplies needed for cafe
- Develop and uphold kitchen processes, and provide direction to kitchen staff on these processes
- Ensure Food Safe Serve and state sanitation guidelines are upheld
- Schedule and coordinate a quarterly deep clean of the kitchen
- Serve as the first point of contact for all kitchen needs and communicating maintenance issues
- Email management between vendors, farmers, and company communication
- Exemplify the core values of Wonderstate
- This position serves as a shift lead/manager on duty with other lead positions in the cafe.
- The Kitchen Lead is responsible for supervising and providing direction and performance feedback to kitchen staff in collaboration with the Cafe Manager.
- The Lead is involved in the scheduling and hiring process, and also makes decisions on inventory and quality control with the Café Manager.
Requirements and Desired Skills
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to communicate clearly and promptly with staff and customers
- Desire to support others and build a strong team environment
- Skilled in remaining calm and personable in a fast-paced environment
- Gives and receives feedback respectfully
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Ability to bring joy to customers and team members, and engage with our community
- Impeccable follow through
- Exemplary kitchen skills
- Desire to continually be challenged and grow as a leader
- Passion for ethically sourced, organic, high quality coffee and food, and supporting farmer cooperatives
- Wisconsin Food Manager Certification required, can be obtained while employed
- Previous kitchen experience required
- Previous people management experience preferred
- Satisfactory driving record
- Schedule varies each week
- Weekend hours are required
- Participation in quarterly deep clean process at least once a year
- Participation in monthly staff meetings required
- Physical demands include bending, lifting 50lbs repeatedly, standing for long hours and driving
Hours, Wage & Location
- Onsite, Viroqua, WI
- Non-exempt, full-time, 30+ hours per week
- Tipped position - starting wage is $15/HR, based on experience. Estimated tips are on average between $5 on an hourly basis.
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Wonderstate is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.