Bar Lead - Viroqua Café
About Wonderstate Coffee
Since 2005, Wonderstate Coffee has worked to forge lasting, equitable partnerships with small-scale farmers. We work directly with growers and coffee cooperatives to ensure high standards for quality, sustainability and farmer compensation. Our Viroqua Café shares the same high standards and delivers inspired coffees and delicious foods featuring fresh, local and organic ingredients. Based in southwest Wisconsin’s beautiful Driftless region, Wonderstate Coffee seeks team members who share in our mission and values and are eager to join our growing, entrepreneurial-spirited, family-friendly work environment.
The Bar Lead serves as a member of the café management team who leads and supports the front of house in creating a café experience that brings Wonderstate’s core values to life. The Bar Lead is a role model for others in creating a hospitality experience that is second to none, working closely with the Cafe Manager and Coffee Department to create a positive work environment centered in Wonderstate’s values and achieve the café’s goals.
- Direct and train front of house staff at the Wonderstate Café
- Lead the recruiting, onboarding & training of all front of house positions
- Provide every customer with a positive experience centered in joy and wonder
- Leading by example and providing direction in exceptional hospitality
- Honor relationships within the team, give and receive feedback respectfully, express gratitude to others, and actively contribute to a positive team environment
- Serves as a resource for cafe staff
- Manage inventory and the product ordering process for coffee and other front of house items
- Ensure high quality in our products and services, and provide feedback to front of house staff on achievement of quality
- Maintains an impeccably clean workspace and holds others to standards
- Develop and uphold front of house processes, and provide direction to front of house on these processes
- Work with the Café Manager to direct the daily operations of the café front of house
- Serve as the go-to for front of house questions and support when the Café Manager
- Oversee the COGS for drinks and work with the Café Manager on recommendations for improvement
- Develop stellar specialty drinks that convey Wonderstate’s dedication to Excellence. Always.
- Provide coffee and drink education during all staff meetings to support the learning and growth of the team
- Exemplify the core values of Wonderstate
- This position serves as a shift lead/manager on duty and is responsible for supervising and providing direction and performance feedback to front of house staff in collaboration with the Cafe Manager. The Lead is involved in the hiring process, assists the Cafe Manager in the termination process, and makes independent decisions on inventory and quality control.
Requirements and Desired Skills
- Intermediate to advanced skills with drink making / coffee brewing
- Desire to support others and build a strong team environment
- Outgoing customer service enthusiast
- Skilled in remaining calm and personable in a fast-paced environment
- Communicates respectfully, clearly and promptly with team members and customers
- Ability to bring joy to customers and team members, and engage with our community
- Strong organization and time management skills with a dedication to excellence
- Impeccable follow through
- Desire to continually be challenged and grow as a leader
- Passion for ethically sourced, organic, high quality coffee and food, and supporting farmer cooperatives
- Previous Barista experience required
- Previous people management experience preferred, but not required
- Schedule varies each week
- Weekend hours are required
- Participation in special events or catering on occasion
- Participation in monthly staff meetings required
- Physical demands include lifting 30lbs and standing for long hours
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Benefits (working over 20 hours/week)
- Medical, Dental & Vision
- Supplemental Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- Wellness & Commuter Reimbursements
- Free coffee to each employee
- Shift meals & drinks
- Wonderstate discount on food, beverages & merchandise
Hours, Wage & Location
- Onsite, Viroqua, WI
- Full-time, weekends required
- $250 Sign-on bonus
Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title "Bar Lead" in the subject line.
Wonderstate is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.