Baker - Viroqua Café
About Wonderstate Coffee
For us, coffee is a source of wonder. Since 2005, Wonderstate has roasted earnest and extraordinary coffees that honor relationships and champion our collective future. Our coffees, and our values-lead approach, have caught on. As the 2010 Roast Magazine Roaster of the Year and five-time Good-Food award winner, our mission continues to expand with three cafes and strong customer relationships in grocery stores, coffee shops, and offices around the Upper-Midwest and all over the country. Yet like the Driftless region we call home, we know you don’t have to be big to make an impact. From our industry-leading minimum price guarantee to farmers, to our 100% solar powered roastery, 5% Giving program, and embracing a healthy work-life balance for all staff, we’re working to do our part.
We're seeking collaborative, curious, and kind people to join us and to build our collective future, together.
This position plays a central role in the success of the café's kitchen team, holding the responsibility for the quality production of food at the café. Bakers at Wonderstate Coffee demonstrate or value of "Excellence. Always." by preparing high quality food and maintaining an impeccably clean workspace. The baker works closely with the Lead Baker and Chef De Cuisine to achieve the cafe's goals.
Benefits (working over 20 hours/week)
- Medical, Dental & Vision
- Supplemental Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- Wellness & Commuter Reimbursements
- Free coffee to each employee
- Shift meals & drinks
- Wonderstate discount on food, beverages & merchandise
- Produce stellar baked goods for both the food menu and the bakery case, working independently
- Prioritize and execute baking independently, upholding the stated expectations for the café, including quantities, recipes and storage
- Keep the kitchen organized, clean and functioning
- Follow Food Safe Serve and state sanitation guidelines
- Set up and break down the kitchen
- Honor relationships within the team gives and receive feedback respectfully, expresses gratitude to others, and actively contributes to a positive team environment
- Exemplify the core values of Wonderstate Coffee
- Recommend areas for improvement and efficiencies
- Other tasks as needed and assigned, sometimes beyond cooking duties
- Good sense of humor a must
- Experience baking desired, but not required. What is required is a love for baking, a lot of self-motivation and patience.
- Reliable, efficient and quick in the kitchen
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Passion for ethically sourced, organic, high quality coffee and food and supporting farmer cooperatives
- Comfort with working independently and making judgment calls
- Excellent organization, multitasking ability and efficiency
Hours, Wage & Location
- Onsite, Viroqua, WI
- Part-time, weekends required
- Tipped position - starting wage is between $11-13/HR, based on experience. Estimated tips are on average between $5-6 on an hourly basis.
$250 Sign-on bonus