Wonderstate Viroqua - Chef De Cuisine
Chef de Cuisine
About Wonderstate Coffee
Since 2005, Wonderstate Coffee has worked directly with growers and coffee cooperatives to ensure high standards for quality, sustainability, and farmer compensation. Wonderstate Roastery is 100% solar powered, and roasts coffee to order to ensure freshness. Our cafés share the same high standards and deliver inspired coffees and delicious foods featuring fresh, local, and organic ingredients. Wonderstate Coffee seeks team members who share our mission and values and are eager to join our café.
The Chef is a member of the Café management team and plays a central role in the success of the café’s business, holding the responsibility for our value of “Excellence. Always.” through the quality production of stellar food at the café. As part of the leadership of the café, the Chef manages the back of house/kitchen staff and works closely with the Wonderstate General
Manager of Cafes and Café Manager to provide direction to kitchen staff, create a positive work environment and achieve the café’s goals.
- Manages the back of house/kitchen staff, with responsibility for hiring, training, scheduling and conducting performance reviews using servant leadership as a foundation
- Manage food COGS and recipe management, creating the café menu, recipes and new product development
- Manages partnerships with distributors and farmers
- Prepare and cook food in accordance with the café quality standards
- Honor relationships within the team, give and receive feedback respectfully, express gratitude to others, and actively contribute to a positive team environment
- Manage inventory and the product ordering process for food and other kitchen items
- Ensure efficiency of processes, high quality of products and services, and provide constructive feedback to kitchen staff.
- Maintain a sanitary & organized work environment.
- Ensure Food Safe Serve and state sanitation guidelines are upheld
- Drive to locations to pick up supplies needed for café
- Manage catering and special events with Café Manager
- Schedule and coordinate a quarterly deep clean of the kitchen
- Serve as the first point of contact for all kitchen needs including scheduling and communicating maintenance issues
- Contribute to weekly Leadership Team meetings
- Contribute to monthly staff meetings
- Exemplify Wonderstate’s core values
Requirements and Desired Skills
- Exemplary kitchen skills, previous kitchen experience required
- 1-3 years of experience as a chef preferred
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to communicate clearly and promptly with staff and customers
- Satisfactory driving record
- Strong people management skills, with a desire to be a servant leader and build a strong team environment
- Skilled in remaining calm and personable in a fast-paced environment
- Gives and receives feedback respectfully and in a way that honors relationships
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Ability to bring joy to customers and team members, and engage with our community
- Impeccable follow through
- Desire to continually be challenged and grow as a leader
- Passion for ethically sourced, organic, high quality coffee and food, and supporting farmer cooperatives
- Safe Serve certification required
- Schedule varies each week; weekend hours are required
- Participation in quarterly deep clean process
- Participation in special events or catering on occasion
- Participation in monthly staff meetings required
- Physical demands include bending, sitting, lifting 80lbs, standing for long hours and driving
Hours, Wage & Location
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the name of the position for which you are applying in the subject line.
Wonderstate is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.