HR Generalist - Exempt, full-time position
Viroqua, WI or remote within driving distance of Viroqua
About Wonderstate Coffee
Since 2005, Wonderstate Coffee has worked to forge lasting, equitable partnerships with small-scale farmers. We work directly with growers and coffee cooperatives to ensure high standards for quality, sustainability and farmer compensation. Based in southwest Wisconsin’s beautiful Driftless region, Wonderstate Coffee seeks new team members who share in our mission and values and are eager to join in our growing, entrepreneurial-spirited, family-friendly work environment.
The Human Resources Generalist partners with managers and employees to create programs that encourage people to positively contribute to the mission and vision and create a culture that brings Wonderstate’s values to life. This position serves the Wonderstate Roastery and Cafes, supporting the entire employee life cycle from new hire onboarding through the exit interview process. Additionally, the HR Generalist partners with the Finance Manager to administer compensation and benefits programs as well as leaves of absence.
- Consults with managers and employees regarding human resources practices and implementation of Wonderstate’s policies and procedures.
- Develops and administers human resources practices, policies and procedures including hiring, onboarding, performance management, compensation, benefits, wellness, employee engagement, professional development and employee relations.
- Support labor relations processes and interactions with employee bargaining unit
- Oversees the administration of the employee performance management process Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Supports employee engagement through proactive communication, conducting employee surveys and data analysis.
- Works with external vendors/consultants to administer the compensation program and other HR programs as needed
- Manages the HR budget in collaboration with the GM of Roastery & Services
- Manages exit interview process, including analysis and reporting of data
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices and regulatory changes in human resources, talent management, and employment law.
- Honors relationships within the team, gives and receives feedback respectfully, expresses gratitude to others, and actively contributes to a positive team environment
- Exemplifies the core values of Wonderstate Coffee
- 3-5 years of experience in performing human resources related functions
- Experience working in union environments and with collective bargaining processes preferred
- Associate or Bachelor degree in human resources, business or related field preferred.
- Professional HR certification, such as PHR, SPHR or SHRM-CP a plus.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills required
- Ability to bring joy to customers and team members, and engage with our community
- Exceptional organizational skills to facilitate working across multiple projects simultaneously
- Confident self-starter with positive attitude and professional demeanor
- Understanding of state and federal employment laws
- Experience holding confidential employee and company information in a professional manner
- Strong team player and collaborator who honors relationships in the workplace
- Passion for ethically sourced, organic, specialty coffee and food, and for supporting farmer cooperatives
- Monday-Friday with occasional weekend hours required
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Free 12oz of coffee every week
- Great co-workers and ability to be a part of an organization that believes in joy, wonder and purpose at work
Wonderstate is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the
position title "HR Generalist" in the subject line.