Payroll & Benefits Specialist
About Wonderstate Coffee
Since 2005, Wonderstate Coffee has worked to forge lasting, equitable partnerships with small-scale farmers. We work directly with growers and coffee cooperatives to ensure high standards for quality, sustainability and farmer compensation. Based in southwest Wisconsin’s beautiful Driftless region, Wonderstate Coffee seeks new team members who share in our mission and values and are eager to join our growing, entrepreneurial-spirited, family-friendly work environment.
The core role and tasks of this position are to perform and oversee all aspects of payroll & benefits. The Payroll & Benefits Specialist will be responsible for payroll processing along with required reporting, maintaining accurate employee records and administration of employee benefits for four separate businesses-Wonderstate Coffee Roastery & 3 Cafes. The Payroll & Benefits Specialist will work closely with the Finance Manager & HR Manager.
- Data entry of employee information into Quickbooks and benefit portals
- Process payroll on a bi-weekly basis
- Maintain and document all payroll & benefit records (PTO accrual, all insurance premiums, SIMPLE IRA deductions, including company matches and more)
- Complete and file reporting for required federal & state agencies: 941, Federal Unemployment, State Unemployment (quarterly)
- Assist with W-2s (annually)
- Be knowledgeable and keep up to date with the taxation of wages and benefits
- Process and monitor garnishment orders, employee deductions, and other mandated payroll specifications
- Reconcile payroll and related benefit accounts on a monthly basis to ensure accuracy.
- Communicate to managers of employee’s PTO balances and years of service
- Finding ways to improve the process of payroll & benefits administration.
- Assist with employee communications relating to payroll & benefits
- Respond to employee inquiries regarding payroll & benefit questions
- Assist with annual benefits open enrollment
- No supervisory responsibilities
- Proficiency with Quickbooks, Google Suite and Microsoft Office programs, especially Excel.
- Exquisite attention to detail
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to work with highly confidential information
- Strong organizational, mathematical, and time management skills
- Strong customer service attitude and work ethic
- Desire to continually be challenged and grow
- Gives and receives feedback respectfully and in a way that honors relationships
- 3+ years of hands-on experience with payroll, timekeeping, and benefits experience
- Proven experience handling sensitive and confidential information
- Associate’s degree in Accounting, Human Resources, Business or related field required
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds at times.
- Paid vacation + company holidays
- Retirement plan
Wonderstate is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strongly encourage diverse candidates to apply.
Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title "Payroll & Benefits" in the subject line.