For us, coffee is a source of wonder. Since 2005, Wonderstate has roasted earnest and extraordinary coffees that honor relationships and champion our collective future. Our coffees, and our values-lead approach, have caught on. As the 2010 Roast Magazine Roaster of the Year and five-time Good-Food award winner, our mission continues to expand with three cafes and strong customer relationships in grocery stores, coffee shops, and offices around the Upper-Midwest and all over the country. Yet like the Driftless region we call home, we know you don’t have to be big to make an impact. From our industry-leading minimum price guarantee to farmers, to our 100% solar powered roastery, 5% Giving program, and embracing a healthy work-life balance for all staff, we’re working to do our part.
We're seeking collaborative, curious, and kind people to join us and to build our collective future, together.
The Head Roaster is a vital role connecting the vision of the Coffee Department to the everyday tasks related to roasting coffee. This position will align quality standards with the Director of Coffee, and then translate these goals into quality assurance ensuring each batch of coffee roasted meets our world-class standards. Additionally, the Head Roaster will help train, coach, and oversee the other members of the production roasting team, guaranteeing the success of roasts regardless of human, machine, or environmental variables. This position is also responsible for overseeing green coffee inventory and timely, effective cross functional communication. The ideal candidate will have meticulous attention to detail, ability to plan, organize, and systematize daily tasks and functions, and be a constant and reliable leader on our production floor.
- Roast coffee to fulfill all orders and satisfy inventory target level and quality metrics.
- Maintain up to date and executable roast profiles and ensure all recipes are followed.
- Work with the Director of Coffee on developing new profiles, targets and monitoring variables.
- Manage direct reports and provide cross-functional management to the fulfillment team.
- Participate in weekly cupping sessions to evaluate and inform continual improvement efforts.
- Maintain safety protocols and organize all roaster cleaning, maintenance, and improvements.
- Ownership over in-house raw goods data and physical organization.
- Maintain meticulously clean and organized machines, work spaces, and warehouses.
Requirements and Desired Skills
- Forklift driving or ability/desire to learn.
- Experience with specialty food or coffee preferred.
- Strong servant leadership and people management skills.
- Attention to detail, organization, and time management skills.
- Comfort with or ability to learn Cropster & Microsoft/Google Suites.
- Desire for and commitment to continual improvement and continued learning.
- Paid vacation + company holidays
- Retirement plan
- Profit Sharing
- Free Coffee
- Discounted Merchandise
- Classification: Non-exempt, Full-time position
- Location: Viroqua, WI
- Availability: 5:30am - 4:30pm, Monday - Thursday
- Schedule: 4 x 10 hour days Monday - Thursday (some flexibility)
- Physical Requirements: Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds repeatedly throughout the day, for consecutive days.
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with notice.
Wonderstate is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.