Director of Café Operations
Since 2005, Wonderstate Coffee has worked to forge lasting, equitable partnerships with small-scale farmers. We work directly with growers and coffee cooperatives to ensure high standards for quality, sustainability and farmer compensation. Based in southwest Wisconsin’s beautiful Driftless region, Wonderstate Coffee seeks new team members who share in our mission and values and are eager to join our growing, entrepreneurial-spirited, family-friendly work environment.
The Director of Café Operations is responsible for managing and executing the strategic plan for all café locations, from year-to-year strategy down to day-to-day operations. This position works hand in hand with the Director of Experience to design and implement cafes which are pillars of our brand experience. The ideal candidate will be entrepreneurial and energizing, stewarding cohesion amongst their teams and driving profit in each café. As such, this candidate will have a deep understanding of and investment in both Wonderstate’s vision and the on-the-ground realities in the service industry. Wonderstate seeks to be the leading employer and highest quality cafes among a competitive market of cafes in the area, which will come to light through this position’s focus and dedication. The café teams include nearly 50 total staff members across 3 locations, all reporting up through this position; necessitating this position to be one of the strongest people managers in Wonderstate’s wider organization.
- Build and maintain strong relationships based on Wonderstate’s values, servant leadership and commitment to excellence.
- Build and lead all Café teams with responsibility for hiring, terminating, training, scheduling and performance reviews for all Café management staff and supporting recruitment/development of key café roles.
- Set the tone and tenor of the cafes as an integrated part of Wonderstate’s business model and vision, providing meaningful work and bountiful support for all café staff.
- Provide industry insights and creative solutions to help Wonderstate preempt the compensation and benefits needs of café staff to maintain consistent staffing levels and drive employment satisfaction and create employment demand.
- Partner with the Director of Experience to bring to life our Brand through our cafes, including implementation of our Marketing strategy (food, drink, service, retail items, ambience, etc.)
- Ensure café operating functionality through staffing and recruiting, menu execution, logistics and organizations, training and standards, and shared best practices.
- Collaborate with the Director of Operations and Director of Experience to set and manage against the Expenses and COGS in the café P&Ls, including forecasting, budgeting, and cost management.
- Lead Quality Control for coffee, food, and service expectations as set by various internal partners including the Directors of Coffee and Experience and track performance against expectations.
- Prepare reports that create actionable insights to drive business performance of key metrics including labor reports, COGS and Expense performance vs. budget: conduct and participate in business reviews to communicate insights across teams.
- Manage important vendor relationships for all goods and services specific to our cafes; coordinate with the Fulfillment Team and Café staff to manage inventory levels and purchases as needed.
- Maintain all necessary permits and licenses in accordance with state and local statutes and mandates.
- Ensure facilities, including all brewing and cooking equipment, are maintained for longevity, performance, consistency, and risk mitigation.
- Embody Wonderstate brand to customers and consumers at every point of contact.
Required Skills & Abilities
- Minimum of 5 years of management experience in the Hospitality/ Food & Beverage industry
- Minimum of 5 years of people management experience.
- Prolific project management experience and skills including leading cross functional teams, communications, accountability, scoping, measuring, and reporting.
- Coffee experience preferred with interest in specialty coffee required
- Honor relationships within the team, gives and receives feedback respectfully, expresses gratitude to others, and actively contributes to a positive team environment
- Proficient at Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, ad hoc report building
- Strong analytical skills, attentive to details and experience analyzing data/information
- Ability to travel for up to 50% of time.
- Reports to: Director of Operations
- Location: Based in Southern Wisconsin (Viroqua or Madison areas preferred)
- Travel: Minimum 1 day per week in Madison and Viroqua each, and 2 days per month in Bayfield. Various industry events and research trips as needed.
- Availability: This position may require a flexible schedule to meet the needs of cafes operating hours, which include weekend availability and/or on-call support.
Classification: Exempt, Full time position
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time.
Wonderstate is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.