Bar Lead - Bayfield Café
About Wonderstate Coffee
Since 2005, Wonderstate Coffee has worked directly with growers and coffee cooperatives to ensure high standards for quality, sustainability, and farmer compensation. Wonderstate Roastery is 100% solar powered, and roasts coffee to order to ensure freshness. Our cafés share the same high standards and deliver inspired coffees and delicious foods featuring fresh, local, and organic ingredients. Wonderstate Coffee seeks team members who share our mission and values and are eager to join our café.
The Bar Lead serves as a member of the café management team who leads and supports the Baristas in creating a café experience that brings Wonderstate’s core values to life. The Bar Lead is a role model for others in creating a hospitality experience that is second to none, working closely with the Café Manager and Coffee Department to create a positive work environment centered in Wonderstate’s values and achieve the café’s goals.
This position serves as a shift lead/manager on duty and is responsible for supervising and providing direction and performance feedback to Baristas in collaboration with the Café Manager. The Lead is involved in the hiring process, assists the Café Manager in the termination process, and makes independent decisions on inventory and quality control.
Benefits (working over 20 hours/week)
- Medical, Dental & Vision
- Supplemental Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- Wellness & Commuter Reimbursements
- Free coffee to each employee
- Shift meals & drinks
- Wonderstate discount on food, beverages & merchandise
- Provide every customer with a positive experience centered in joy and wonder
- Assists the Café Manager with the direction of the daily operations of the café front of house by developing and upholding front of house processes. Serves as a resource for café staff support and questions in absence of the Café Manager
- Develop stellar specialty drinks that convey Wonderstate’s dedication to Excellence. Always.
- Manage inventory and the product ordering process for coffee and other front of house items
- Oversee the COGS for drinks and work with the Café Manager and owner on recommendations for improvement
- Honor relationships within the team, give and receive feedback respectfully, express gratitude to others, and actively contribute to a positive team environment
- Trains Baristas at the Wonderstate Café with front of house processes to ensure high quality in our products and services
- Provide coffee and drink education during all staff meetings to support the learning and growth of the team
- Maintains an impeccably clean workspace
- Participation in special events or catering on occasion
Required Skills & Abilities
- Ability to bring joy to customers and team members, and engage with our community
- Previous Barista experience required
- Intermediate to advanced skills with drink making / coffee brewing
- Desire to support others and build a strong team environment
- Outgoing customer service enthusiast
- Skilled in remaining calm and personable in a fast-paced environment
- Communicates respectfully, clearly and promptly with team members and customers
- Previous people management experience preferred, but not required
- Strong organization and time management skills with impeccable follow through and a dedication to excellence
- Physical demands include lifting 30lbs and standing for long hours
- Desire to continually be challenged and grow as a leader
- Passion for ethically sourced, organic, high quality coffee and food, and supporting farmer cooperatives
Hours, Wage & Location
- Onsite, Bayfield, WI
- Full-time/Part-time, weekends required
- Tipped position - starting wage is $13.00 per hour, based on experience. Estimated tips are on average between $4-5 on an hourly basis.
- $250 Sign-on bonus
Wonderstate is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.